It’s sad that when it comes to our precious pets needing emergency care or surgery, we are at the mercy of the Animal Hospital prices! It costs more for care for our pets then it should at these facilities.
1. The medication mark up is ridiculous, a medication costing $8 at PetSmart, cost $30 at the Animal Hospital, and you know they purchase it at cost, so why does cost to you so much more? They will also provide and charge you for more medication than your pet may need on some scripts.
2. They always recommend an over night stay for pain management, this cost is around $1,000, or more at most pet hospitals. I declined this service and took my animal home, and was frustrated when I realized I only had to give him his medication once at 6 am to save myself $1,000 for an over night visit.
3. The price for the cage they are kept in is 100 times the cost of the cage and most times they are only in it a few hours at best.
4. They estimate your bill and charge you 75% and then do as little as possible but charge as much as possible, so you still have a balance of 25% or more when you return to pick up your pet.
5. The emergency Veterinarian will give you an estimate on the care required for your pet, but will recommend your own vet does the procedure because the hospital surgeon is expensive, knowing full well most vets aren’t surgeons!
6. The surgeon will then have a different opinion for care and price, and when you question why two different opinions, the Surgeon will tell he is the Surgeon and the other is just an emergency vet!
Most of these Animal Hospitals provide wonderful care. The problem here is the price for that care.
All these things add up to lots of money for pet care, and the reason people have a hard time getting their pet the care and treatment they require. We all love our pets, but who has $1,000’s of dollars to keep them around when they require some sort of care or surgery from an Animal Hospital.